On February 1, 1893, Thomas Edison completed construction of his first motion picture studio. Edison referred to the studio as “the Black Maria” because it resembled a police wagon. The studio was mounted on a pivot, so it could be rotated to align with the sun at any time during the day. Edison continued to use the studio until he built a glass-enclosed studio in 1901. The earliest copyrighted film from the studio that still survives is Fred Ott’s Sneeze. The film is actually a series of positive photographic prints of Edison’s Employee, Fred Ott, sneezing. The accompanying picture is the series of photographs that, when strung together, produced “Fred Ott’s Sneeze”.